Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Writers Like Us - Megan Miranda

Whenever I read author interviews, I'm always looking for that one thing that tells me whatever it is I'm going through–rejection or acknowledgment or insecurity or excitement–is totally normal and just a part of the process. I want to know what makes that author like me.

Megan Miranda, author of FRACTURE (which was one of my Favorite Books of 2012!) is here this week, and it just so happens that her new book, HYSTERIA, is out today! I've been looking forward to this one for a while. If you like psychological thrillers and paranormals, Megan has the perfect amount of creepy to make your pulse race.

Her answers are below in bold. Let us know what makes Megan like you in the comments.

Megan on Writing
  • I've written 3 complete books, and 3 have seen the light of day (or are under contract to). BUT. I have about 6 partials that never made it anywhere… and many drafts that got trashed along the way to those 3 complete books.
  • My favorite type of scene to write is something tense and angsty.
  • No matter how long I've been writing, I still have issues with staying on the right side of the intriguing/confusing line.
  • A typical comment from my critique partner is I am confused.
  • The book I wished I wrote is GONE GIRL.
Megan on Getting Published
  • If my agent (or editor) really knew how crazy I was, s/he would find out that they are indeed correct. I have a feeling that over the last few years, they’ve already begun to suspect.
  • When I was querying, I felt equal parts excited and nauseous. No, more like 90/10 in the favor of nausea.
  • The biggest mistake I ever made querying was querying about 2 drafts too soon.
  • The craziest thought I've ever had while writing is this is going to get easier, right?? (Answer: not so much.)
  • When I got "The Call," my first thought was did that really just happen??
  • When I saw my book sale in Publishers Marketplace, I giggled. (This is pretty much my go-to reaction, usually inappropriately so, for anything outside of my comfort zone)

Megan on Life Outside Writing
  • If I weren't a writer, I'd probably be…on career number 3, whatever that might be.
  • Secretly, I'm terrified of everything. But mostly clowns, thunderstorms, and 95% of animals.
  • My secret girlfriend/boyfriend is A SECRET.
  • Sometimes, when no one is around, I sing. If I try to do this when people are around, they quickly ask me to stop. My own children, included.


Megan Miranda is the author of Fracture and Hysteria. She spends a great deal of time thinking about the “why” and “how” of things, which leads her to get carried away daydreaming about the “what-ifs.” She lives in North Carolina with her husband and two young children. www.meganmiranda.com

2 comments:

  1. lol the singing... I have the same issue, no one wants to hear! Hopefully they read my work like they do Megan's ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised at how many authors secretly sing to themselves and are asked to stop--Jodi and Elizabeth also admitted to this. :)

      Sing it out, authors! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...