Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Agents Like Us - Heather Alexander

Heather Alexander recently made the jump from editor at Penguin to agent at Pippin Properties, so of course I rushed to interview her for Agents Like Us! She's sharing all her agenting secrets and slushpile wishes!

She's looking for picture books, middle grade, YA, and graphic novels. Specifically contemporary, funny, historical, gothic style horror, and magical realism, but not high fantasy, medieval, or time travel. She favors literary over commercial.

You can read more about her here and follow her on Twitter @HeatherAlexand. Her answers are below in bold. 

Heather on Agenting

  • When writers query me, I really wish it were a homerun every time.
  • My favorite part about being an agent is getting to develop new talent and new ideas. Nurturing a grain of an idea into a whole book is very satisfying.
  • Rules and trends aside, what I really look for in a story is gorgeous writing and characters I wish I knew in real life. And a story that changes the way I think.
  • I really wish I saw more truly fresh ideas in the slush.


Heather On Clients
  • My ideal client would be someone who loves to brainstorm ideas, and then develop them into something unique and cool. Someone with a million ideas (but who knows how to tell which ones really have legs).
  • What I love most about my current clientele is how eager they are to work.
  • What I want most for any client is a balloon in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.


Heather On Life
  • If I weren't an agent, I'd probably be, well, I’ve been so many things so far, and there are a lot of things I’d like to try, but let’s go with cheese monger. No, textile designer. No, wait, art restorer. Racecar driver? Spy? At least one of those things.
  • My favorite (non-client) book is, right now, in this moment, Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour. Ask me again tomorrow.
  • Secretly, I'm terrified of contentment, which I equate with stasis.
  • My secret boyfriend is Gene Wilder.
  • I have a total girlcrush on Tina Fey. Of course.
  • Sometimes, when no one is around, I eat chocolate for breakfast.
  • My favorite drink is seltzer. I drink it a liter at a time. I’m going to get the bends!
Want to see more Agent Interviews? Check them all out here.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...