Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Writers Like Us - Michelle Krys

It's the return of Writers Like Us! Michelle Krys was so kind to help me kick off the series again. I had an opportunity to read HEXED and it was so good! Fun and exciting and full of witchiness. It reminded me a lot of my obsession with The Craft.

HEXED comes out June 10th. Don't miss out on this one.

Michelle's Writers Like Us answers are below in bold. Let us know in the comments what makes Michelle just like you!

Michelle on Writing
  • I've written 3 books, and 2 have seen the light of day. (Well, they will! Hexed releases June 10th and the sequel comes out in 2015.)
  • My favorite type of scenes to write are the kissing ones! Second only to the almost-kissing ones. 
  • No matter how long I've been writing, I still have issues with losing interest in a book halfway through writing it, and getting distracted by shiny new ideas. 
  • A typical comment from my critique partner is slow your roll, 50 Shades. This is a YA novel! 
  • The book I wished I wrote is WE WERE LIARS by E. Lockhart. Painfully good.

Michelle on Getting Published
  • If my agent really knew how crazy I was, she would find out that I’m a lot more insecure than I appear. Except I think she already knows it. And maybe even likes me anyway?
  • When I was querying, I felt excited! I’m one of those weird people who actually loved the process. Checking my email constantly, keeping detailed spreadsheets on the responses—I loved it all!
  • The biggest mistake I ever made querying was querying too soon. I was so excited to get my work out there that I queried before the book was really ready. When an agent asked for a full, it took me a full week to send it out because I was busy frantically editing. (Don’t do that, people!)
  • The craziest thought I've ever had while being published is that someone is going to realize they’ve made a mistake and come and revoke my book deal. I still can’t believe this is real! 
  • When I got "The Call," my first thought was “don’t cry at work, don’t cry at work”. (I cried at work.)
  • When I saw my book sale in Publishers Marketplace, I squealed and tweeted it as fast as my shaky fingers would allow. 

Michelle on Life Outside Writing
  • If I weren't a writer, I'd probably be a forensic investigator or detective (I’m obsessed with Dateline NBC and 48 Hours Mystery). Although I do work as a nurse in a neonatal intensive care, and that’s an amazing job too. 
  • Secretly, I'm terrified of birds. Birds pecking at me. Birds flying too close to me. Birds pooping on my head. *shudders*
  • My secret girlfriend/boyfriend is Jason Mamoa. And Kyle Loza (For variety!)
  • Sometimes, when no one is around, I spend all day on celebrity gossip websites. I’m shamefully well informed on the goings on of Hollywood. 

Michelle Krys lives with her husband and son in Northwestern Ontario, Canada. She works part-time as a NICU nurse and spends her free time writing books for teens. Michelle is probably not a witch, though she did belong to a witchcraft club in the fifth grade and "levitated" people in her bedroom, so that may be up for debate. Hexed is her first novel. Visit her at michellekrys.com or follow @MichelleKrys on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...