Wednesday, June 25, 2014

What's Up Wednesday - 6.25.14


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up.

You can participate by going to Jaime's blog here. Or Erin's blog there.

Woot! It's Wednesday! Which means this time next week, I'll be at the beach.











What I'm Reading
I hit my 2014 GoodReads Reading Challenge this month and have no intension of slowing down. My local indie bookstore (Children's Book World, holla!) had a Sidewalk Sale last weekend and I walked away with this stack. I'm really want to attack this pile next. Any suggestions?


What I'm Writing

The cork board is filling up with lots of good ideas. I'm starting to move the post-its around and plot out the story. I'm using the blue post-its to mark each Act and what the focus and turning points in each are. Pink is for any scenes where the MC is moving closer to her goal. Purple is for scenes that take her farther from it. I use the smaller flags to indicate subplot ups and downs. It's a little complicated, especially when the story becomes more layered and the post-its start to stack up on top of each other, but it helps a lot to get the basic structure down.

The multi-colored post-its on the sides of the board have writing advice written on them. These say things like:

  • EFF DOUBT; JUST WRITE.
  • Conflict! Happen. Happen. Happen.
  • Who are the characters that would end up in situations like this?
  • Goal: Everything takes her closer or farther away from it.

What Else I've Been Up To

Shannon's guitars are taking over the house! I went to sit in this chair on Saturday to read and it was like "Haha! Nope! Guess again." Also, his work is gorgeous and I love showing it off. I want his guitar building career to take off almost as badly as I want to be published one day. It's awesome being married to someone who has a creative passion and understands the need to put something awesome out into this world. 


Have an awesome week!

9 comments:

  1. Those guitars do look pretty awesome :-) And I love your writing advice to yourself :-) I think I need to a board close to my computer! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! You remembered. I was going to remind you on monday but thought that too early...and forgot yesterday. haha.
    Those guitars are AWESOME! You should be proud and show them off. I hope it takes off too, both of your creative careers.
    I STILL need to read your cork board post. I suck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very interesting drafting method. The writing advice is s nice touch. Good luck. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that both you and your hubs are creative types. And the guitars really are gorgeous, especially the blue one! I love your desk area and planning board. It looks like a great system, especially the colour-coded "getting closer to goal" and "getting further away from goal" thing. Smart! Hope you have a wonderful week, Valerie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a stack of books waiting for me to read them - always exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those guitars are awesome. Good luck on your planning/brainstorming and wow those post-its! I'm impressed :) I really enjoyed Rapture Practice, and congrats on hitting your GR goal!!!!! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are amazing guitars! Wish I played ^_^

    Your post its are amazing and the reason I sometimes wish I could do the whole planning thing.

    Have an amazing week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post-it strategy makes my head spin! I've gotten into index cards but they still aren't as detailed as that!
    Gorgeous guitars!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liking the corkboard idea! I've always done the plot shuffling on loose leaf paper, or by writing and re-writing new word files called "plan.doc" or "plot.docx", which invariably get buried, and another gets written to replace it (because the ideas in them are nearly obsolete by the time I hit save...)
    Also liking the writing advice stickies.
    Best of luck with the project! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...