Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Writers Like Us - Rebecca Serle

I'm super excited to have Rebecca Serle on the blog today. I love a good retelling and Rebecca's book, WHEN YOU WERE MINE, is a modern recounting of Romeo and Juliet—from Juliet’s cousin Rosaline's point of view!

Her answers are below in bold. Let us know what makes Rebecca like you in the comments.

Rebecca on Writing
  • I've written 6 books, and 1 has seen the light of day, but there are more of those coming, so... :)
  • My favorite type of scene/character/setting to write is I write realistic fiction. I like to set things in high school. I love all of the opportunities a school setting provides...and my next book takes place in NYC. That was pretty fun to write, too. Type of character? I like to write them all! 
  • No matter how long I've been writing, I still have issues with PLOT. 
  • A typical comment from my critique parnter is "why is everyone looking at each other so damn much?"
  • The book I wished I wrote is Harry Potter. Honestly-- is there another answer to that question? If so, I'm not aware of it. 

Rebecca on Getting Published
  • If my agent really knew how crazy I was, s/he would find out absolutely nothing. My agent knows that I am BANANAS. 
  • When I was querying, I felt lucky. I didn't take the traditional route. I already knew my agent, and she loved When You Were Mine on the first read. 
  • When I got "The Call," my first thought was I can sleep now. It was a week of insanity, followed by one very stressful auction day. I was elated and exhausted. 
  • When I saw my book sale in Publishers Marketplace, I screamed and called my mom. 
Rebecca on Life Outside Writing
  • If I weren't a writer, I'd probably be a yoga teacher or exercsie instructor. I really love yoga and spinning, and I get some of my best ideas when I'm working out.
  • Secretly, I'm terrified of being a terrible writer. I don't think that ever goes away. And losing people I love. In life, that is my greatest fear. 
  • My secret girlfriend/boyfriend is -- hey, if I told you, it wouldn't be so secret anymore... ;) 
  • Sometimes, when no one is around, I have rock concerts in my apartment.

Rebecca Serle is a full-time writer, which means she gets to wear pajamas to work. She went to the University of Southern California, then got her MFA from the New School in NYC. (She likes New York much more than LA, but don’t tell anyone that.) Rebecca loves shiny hair, coffee, yoga, and pretending to be British. She, too, experienced heartbreak once. It worked out okay, though, because she turned the experience into this book. When You Were Mine is her first novel. http://rebeccaserle.com/

6 comments:

  1. "Why is everyone looking at each other so damn much?" Haha! I feel your pain. I do this WAY too often in my story. It's like eyes and eyebrows have a life of their own, like they could be their own character. :P I think many of us fall into that whole "the eyes are the windows of the soul" mentality and we try to convey so much just with glances, gazes, looks, expressions...you get the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that all the time too! I think the most common word I delete in revisions is "look."

      Delete
  2. I love Rebecca and love her book and I'm SO GLAD you interviewed her! I also think it's interesting she knew her agent - seems like everybody has different paths to publication... Valerie NOW YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Loving this series. :-) I just got WHEN YOU WERE MINE in the mail yesterday (thanks to Miss Rachel up there, who recommended it up and down!) and I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy! And yes, I know Rachel has been pushing for this one hard. I have it at the top of my TBR too! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...