Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Writers Like Us - Kristina McBride


I'm super excited to have Kristina McBride on the blog today. If you like your contemporaries to be heartbreaking, romantic, and wrapped in mystery, you have to check out Kristina's books ONE MOMENT and THE TENSION OF OPPOSITES.

Her Writers Like Us answers are below in bold. Let us know what makes Kristina like you in the comments.

Kristina on Writing
  • I've written 6 books, and 2 have seen the light of day. There are also some partials to add into the mix, but I’ve lost count of those.
  • My favorite type of scene/character to write is something with a pretty sharp edge. I love tense scenes with surprising twists and characters who act in ways that are not quite expected.
  • No matter how long I've been writing, I still have issues with the waiting. It’s a HUGE part of the publication process – waiting for feedback from my agent, editorial notes from my editor, news that I’m finally finished with revisions, cover comps, etc. Seeing as how I’m not very patient, all of the waiting nearly kills me.
  • The books I wish I written are Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, The List by Siobhan Vivian, Wonder by RJ Palacio (NO way I can list just one, so I selected a title from different age levels.)
Kristina on Getting Published
  • If my agent really knew how crazy I was, she would find out … I’m pretty sure that there is no way to hide my kind of crazy. My agent is well aware of my level of insanity and deserves major props for her handling techniques.
  • When I was querying, I felt like I would NEVER, EVER land an agent. (But then I did! Persistence is the key to so many things in life.)
  • The biggest mistake I ever made querying was mass querying a letter that wasn’t quite polished enough.
  • The craziest thought I've ever had while writing or querying or subbing or being published is … The craziest? Oh, I just can’t. All the possible answers floating to the surface right now are a little too crazy on the Crazy Scale.
  • When I got "The Call," my first thought was, “No flipping way I’m answering the phone. Whoever it is can just wait.” Why was this my first thought? When my agent called with the news of my first sale, I was struggling to bathe two toddlers after a full day at the swimming pool. They were slippery and slithery and screaming. I was tired and cranky and NOT in the right mindset to answer the phone. Imagine my surprise when I listened to my voice mail. My stress instantly flipped over to excitement.
  • When I saw my book sale in Publishers Marketplace, I smiled. (I’m kind of low key when it comes to celebrating.)
Kristina on Life Outside Writing
  • If I weren't a writer, I'd probably be a crazy person sitting on the side of some random street talking to myself. Writing keeps me sane. (Okay, semi-sane. I’ve already established my level of insanity. But it’s an insanity that works for me.)
  • Secretly, I'm terrified of everything. My mind tends to go to all the wrong places in any given situation. I tell myself it’s a survival skill that I’ve honed to perfection – I’ll always be ready for any disaster, no matter how big or small, right?
  • My secret boyfriend is John Cusack. (Without the Scottish accent that Mara Purnhagen ordered up. For the record, I’ll fight her for him – those zombie hunting talents don’t scare me one bit.) But I also have this thing for Atticus Finch.
  • Sometimes, when no one is around, I talk to myself. Or the TV. (And I’m totally okay with that fact.)

Kristina McBride, a former English teacher and yearbook advisor, dreamed of being a published author since she was a child and lived across the street from a library. Kristina has published two novels for young adults - The Tension of Opposites (May 2010) and One Moment (June 2012). She lives in Ohio with her husband and two young children. Visit her online at www.kristinamcbride.com.

4 comments:

  1. This is my first time hearing about this book. It sounds really interesting! I added it to my TBR list and can't wait to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation! It's also nice to see the author's journey to publication and beyond. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Jaime! Let me know when you read One Moment!

      Delete
  2. Yes!! Thank you for this series! I totally want to read these books now. It's so exciting to hear PUBLISHED WRITERS REALLY ARE LIKE ME! <3. But for serious, it's encouraging. Keep it up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hayley! And let me know if you have any ideas of who I can ask for the Spring installment of Writers Like Us!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...