Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Writers Like Us - Trish Doller


Whenever I read author interviews, I'm always looking for that one thing that tells me whatever it is I'm going through--rejection or acknowledgment or insecurity or excitement--is totally normal and just a part of the process. I want to know what makes that author like me.

You have no idea how completely THRILLED I am to have Trish Doller, the author of Something Like Normal (oh, you know, just that book I've been fangirling about all year and threatening people with bodily harm if they haven't read it yet. Speaking of which? Have you? If not, you better!)

Her answers are below in bold. Let us know what makes Trish like you in the comments.

Trish on Writing
  • I've written three complete books, and two have seen the light of day (but I do have a big file of unfinished projects that will remain dead and buried).
  • My favorite type of scene/character/setting to write is fluid. My favorites change whenever I write something I especially love.
  • No matter how long I've been writing, I still have issues with my characters showing up without a plot.
  • A typical comment from my critique partner is "keep going" because she knows I have procrastinatory issues and that I can spend too much time revising when I should be moving forward.
  • The book I wished I wrote is The Sharp Time by Mary O'Connell.

Trish on Getting Published
  • If my agent (or editor) really knew how crazy I was, s/he would find out I make mock book covers for all my projects. 
  • When I was querying, I felt completely clueless. 
  • The biggest mistake I ever made querying was when I accidentally hit send on an email before I was finished, then followed-up with a second email to apologize and finish. Never heard from that agent.
  • When I got "The Call," my first thought was "Oh my God, this is really happening." I couldn't tell you what was said in that conversation because I was walking back and forth under the bleachers of a high school soccer game, but I remember going back up to my seat and saying, "Holy shit. I have an agent."
  • When I saw my book sale in Publishers Marketplace, I had to sit for a minute and process because even though the offer is the real deal, seeing it in PM makes it feel real.

Trish on Life Outside Writing
  • If I weren't a writer, I'd probably be a bookseller. (I am both, actually.) 
  • Secretly, I'm terrified of palmetto bugs and spiders and that giant-headed Burger King.
  • My secret girlfriend/boyfriend is Colin Farrell. I know. I can't help myself.
  • Sometimes, when no one is around, I watch the Doctor Who episodes that make me cry.

Trish Doller has worked as a newspaper reporter and radio personality and is now a bookseller. She lives in Ft Myers, Florida with her husband, two dogs, and two mostly grown children. Also, Trish has about a dozen Marines she'd like to adopt.

10 comments:

  1. This was recced to me first by Miranda Kinneally and then of course by you, and I did just buy it the other night, and my iPad is coming back from the shop and gets delivered today so I can read Kindle books again but how am I going to read TRAGEDY PAPER and this and the ms I just agreed to beta all at the same time?

    I blame you, Valerie.

    Also, run-on sentences are fun.

    And yay for bookseller/authors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY for reading all the things! (But read Something Like Normal first *shakes fist*) :)

      Thanks for your support, Jessica!

      Delete
  2. {sigh} yet another to add to my tbr pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sooooo good, Roxanne. It's my favorite book ever!

      Delete
  3. LOVE this. LOVE Trish's writing! Great interview, ladies ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid to google what a Palmetto bug is. Book sounds awesome, thanks Valerie and Trish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine how big and gross they are (as most floridian bugs are) :)

      Delete
  5. so many episodes of dr who that make me cry - still long for the return of david tennant, though. (sigh) now i must read this book to support a fellow whovian. my tbr pile grows ever higher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will not be disappointed, from one Valerie to another ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...