Friday, January 18, 2013

My Top Five Book Boyfriends

I was going to wait until February for this one, but sometimes you just have to write a blog post naming your...

Top Five Book Boyfriends.

1. John After from Jennifer Echols' Going Too Far

From GoodReadsOne crazy evening involving a dare and forbidden railroad tracks, Meg goes way too far...and almost doesn't make it back. John made a choice to enforce the rules. To serve and protect. He has nothing but contempt for what he sees as childish rebellion, and he wants to teach Meg a lesson she won't soon forget. But Meg pushes him to the limit by questioning everything he learned at the police academy. And when he pushes back, demanding to know why she won't be tied down, they will drive each other to the edge.

Why he's my book boyfriend: I hereby declare that John After will never not be my #1 book boyfriend. Hear that all other future book love interests? Do you know why? Because the description above only portrays him as a hard ass. And don't get me wrong, he was for the first 30 or 40 pages. But then, during the ride alongs Meg was sentenced to go on with him, he softened up. He's an artist and can tell the difference between indigo and cyan. And he's funny, and says things like, "I love Cops. It’s like my life, but with the boring parts taken out.”

Am I not doing a good enough job convincing you? WELL GOOD. Because I want him all to myself. Go pick another book boyfriend or there'll be a smackdown in the girl's bathroom.

“And the rest is happily ever After.”


2. Travis from Trish Doller's Something Like Normal

From GoodReadsWhen Travis returns home from a stint in Afghanistan, his parents are splitting up, his brother’s stolen his girlfriend and his car, and he’s haunted by nightmares of his best friend’s death. It’s not until Travis runs into Harper, a girl he’s had a rocky relationship with since middle school, that life actually starts looking up. And as he and Harper see more of each other, he begins to pick his way through the minefield of family problems and post-traumatic stress to the possibility of a life that might resemble normal again. Travis’s dry sense of humor, and incredible sense of honor, make him an irresistible and eminently lovable hero.

Why he's my book boyfriend: I know, I know. I won't shut up about this book! Seriously though, if you haven't read it, please don't speak to me until you do. Who can resist a nice guy like Travis? He just needs a girl like Harper me in his life! I would totally tell his dad off and then trip his brother. Funny and irresistible, if John After were to ever leave me for some incredibly attractive girl, I'd completely run into Travis's very strong Marine arms.


3. Owen from Sarah Dessen's Just Listen

From GoodReadsLast year, Annabel was "the girl who has everything" — at least that's the part she played in the television commercial for Kopf's Department Store. This year, she's the girl who has nothing: no best friend because mean-but-exciting Sophie dropped her, no peace at home since her older sister became anorexic, and no one to sit with at lunch. Until she meets Owen Armstrong. Tall, dark, and music-obsessed, Owen is a reformed bad boy with a commitment to truth-telling. With Owen's help, maybe Annabel can face what happened the night she and Sophie stopped being friends.

Why he's my book boyfriend: Um, hello? He was the only boy who would sit with her on the wall at lunch time and made her SEVERAL mixed CDs to help widen her taste in music. For those reasons alone, I love Owen. Throw in an adorably precocious sister who tells it like it is and a beat-up van to listen to all your tunes in, and I am sold on Owen as a book boyfriend.


4. Adam from Gayle Forman's Where She Went (also, If I Stay)

From GoodReadsIt's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever. Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future-and each other.

Why he's my book boyfriend: So...I have this thing for guys in bands. I don't think that's a secret. But a bona-fide rock star boyfriend? Who writes entire hit albums about me? Mia is crazypants to leave that! But that's okay, Adam. I'm right here.


5. Ed / Shadow from Cath Crowley's Graffiti Moon

From GoodReadsSenior year is over, and Lucy has the perfect way to celebrate: tonight, she's going to find Shadow, the mysterious graffiti artist whose work appears all over the city. He's out there somewhere—spraying color, spraying birds and blue sky on the night—and Lucy knows a guy who paints like Shadow is someone she could fall for. Really fall for. Instead, Lucy's stuck at a party with Ed, the guy she's managed to avoid since the most awkward date of her life. But when Ed tells her he knows where to find Shadow, they're suddenly on an all-night search around the city. And what Lucy can't see is the one thing that's right before her eyes.

Why he's my book boyfriend: Dark, mysterious and full of depth and artistic vision, that's how I'd describe Shadow, Ed's graffiti artist alter ego. I'd totally sneak out late at night to watch him paint the side of a building, but I'd probably be horrible at watching out for the cops.


So, now's your turn. Who's your book boyfriend(s)???

15 comments:

  1. Um, we've been over this - JOHN AFTER. HE IS MINE. STEP OFF.

    OK fine, because you are my CP and I love you, I will take Jake Gardner from CRACKED UP TO BE. And Jonah Griggs from JELLICOE ROAD. And I am still debating Marcus Flutie from the Jessica Darling series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who is this Marcus guy? Everyone's talking about him and I feel like I'm missing out!

      Delete
  2. TRAVISSSSSSSSSSSSS.

    My book boyfriends = Marcus Flutie from the Jessica Darling series, Dexter from This Lullaby, Jonah from Jellicoe Road, and Corey from What Happens Next. Dude...if you have not read What Happens Next, you need to. Corey is effing adorable. He BAKES for the main character. And is good with kids. And dogs. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Dexter!!! He alllllmost made the list but I wanted to spread the book boyfriend love around. Sarah Dessen can write an amazing boyfriend! :)

      Delete
  3. Top 5 book boyfriends (in no particular order):

    1) Atticus Finch, To Kill a Mockingbird - Devoted single father and attorney. Always does what's right, even when it's not easy. Kind, compassionate, intelligent, and doesn't give his daughter shit for being a tomboy.
    2) Rhett Butler, Gone With the Wind - Witty and worldly-wise, his bad-boy exterior shields a tender and generous heart inside. Seriously one of the sexiest and funniest heroes in literary history.
    3) Mr. Darcy, Pride and Prejudice - A jerk until you get to know him and realize that he's just really awkward around strangers. Very loyal and will go to great lengths to help the people he loves. Falls in love with Elizabeth Bennett because she makes him want to be a better person.
    4) Christopher Seton, A Rose in Winter - My favorite 1980's romance novel, Christopher is an American rake in England with a big secret. Sort of a "Beauty and the Beast" story and I can't say much about it without giving too much away but it's AWESOME. The cover blurb for the original 1982 hardback says: "Wed to a stranger she could not betray...she was posessed by a love she could never forget." Love that shit.
    5) Cian MacKeltar, Spell of the Highlander - Over-sexed and tattooed Highland warrior escapes a magic mirror in which he has been imprisoned for centuries. Seeks revenge. Seduces and falls in love with smart and voluptuous archaeology grad student. This book is so hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how all your choices are super classy and then we get to the over-sexed, tattooed Highland warrior. I <3 you, Whitney!

      Delete
  4. This is a fantastic list but for me, it's Marcus Flutie: first, now and always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who is this Marcus guy!?? That's 3 votes for Marcus! I'm going to have to try to read the Jessica Darling series again!

      Delete
  5. My top five book boyfriends are Ryan from Raw Blue (DIBS TO INFINITY), Jonah from Jellicoe Road, Poe from Secret Society Girl, Eli from Along for the Ride, and Brigan from Fire. (Also, yay for Travis!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jellicoe Road is also another popular answer--I'm going to have to move it to the top of my TBR!

      Oh, Eli. I loved him too. Can I just have all of Sarah Dessen's characters please?

      Thanks Trish!! :)

      Delete
  6. Owen and Adam definitely make my list, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, great list! My book boyfriend is, and will always be, Jonah Griggs. JELLICOE ROAD is my absolute favorite YA, mostly because of him. :) (Though, IF I STAY/WHERE SHE WENT's Adam is a close second.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this!! I have never gotten over my early book boyfriends Mr. Rochester and Almanzo Wilder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My very first ever book-boy crush: Gilbert Blythe. Oh, Anne Shirley, why did it take you so long to see what was right in front of you?
    Also, Colonel Brandon from Sense and Sensibility. Marianne is not good enough for him.
    And while we're talking Jane Austen, Mr. Knightley from Emma. He's so much more patient than she deserves.
    Do plays count? Benedick from Much Ado About Nothing is too quick-witted for his own good, but once he opens his heart, he gives his all.
    And Christopher Heron from The Perilous Gard. His guilt over his niece's disappearance is so heavy that when he learns she's still alive, he trades himself for her. And when Kate follows him beneath the mountain, among the fair folk, she helps him hold onto the world and his sanity so that eventually, he escapes before he can become a human sacrifice. There's nothing syrupy or sentimental about their relationship, but there's a depth to it that makes me swoon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...