Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Writers Like Us - Robert Lettrick

Whenever I read author interviews, I'm always looking for that one thing that tells me whatever it is I'm going through–rejection or acknowledgment or insecurity or excitement–is totally normal and just a part of the process. I want to know what makes that author like me.

I'm so thrilled to have Robert Lettrick on the blog today! Not only is my agency brother an awesome middle grade writer with a two-book deal with Disney Hyperion, but he's an amazing artist too. Today he shares his publishing secrets in this week's Writers Like Us. His first book, Frenzy, is scheduled for 2014. It has rabid squirrels in it, and it's going to be awesome!

His answers are below in bold. Let us know what makes Robert like you in the comments.

Robert on Writing

  • I've written 3 books, and 0 have seen the light of day. This will change when Frenzy is released by Disney-Hyperion in the summer of 2014. My second book, codenamed Codename, will be released in 2015.
  • My favorite type of scene/character/setting to write is a massive action piece or the polar opposite, an intimate moment between two characters. My favorite type of character to write is the comic relief, because they crack me up. 
  • No matter how long I've been writing, I still have issues with my family.
  • The book I wished I wrote is the autobiography of Hugh Jackman. Because, you know, then I’d be Hugh Jackman. I’d also like to see my name on Cannery Row, which is why I signed every copy in my local bookstore. I’m not allowed back.

Robert on Getting Published
  • If my agent really knew how crazy I was, she would find out if there’s an escape clause in our contract. 
  • When I was querying, I felt probably like every other author who sends their baby out into the world: nervous, excited, hopeful and proud of myself for following my dream, regardless of the outcome. And I felt like having a drink. One long, four-month drink.
  • The biggest mistake I ever made querying was sending out a manuscript before it was ready.
  • The craziest thought I've ever had while writing/querying/subbing/being published is "This shouldn’t take long."
  • When I got "The Call," my first thought was "How am I going to come up with a million dollars in unmarked bills, and once I give it to them will they kill her anyway? Huh? Wrong call? Oh."
  • When I saw my book sale in Publishers Marketplace, I sang Barry Manilow’s Looks Like We Made It at the top of my lungs. Actually, it was just nice to be able to talk publicly with friends and family about the deal after sitting on it for so long.

Robert on Life Outside Writing
  • If I weren't a writer, I'd probably be an animator. Or a comic book artist. I have a BA in Fine Art and I went to the Savannah College of Art and Design to get my MA in sequential art. I can draw a little.
  • Secretly, I'm terrified of heights, which is strange because I spent several years as a roofer. I’ve only fallen off one roof–a church. I landed in a bush about a foot away from a spiked iron fence. I went right back to work and the cost of the bush came out of my paycheck. It’s a hard knock life.
  • My deepest, darkest secret is revealed in my book Frenzy (In bookstores summer 2014!).
  • Sometimes, when no one is around, I look for people.

Robert Lettrick was born and raised in Troy, NY. He earned his BFA at a small liberal arts college outside of Boston then went on to become one of the first students to enroll in the Savannah College of Art and Design’s MA Sequential Art program. Robert enjoyed a short stint in the bullpen at Marvel Comics which led to freelance penciling assignments for Marvel Comics, Marvel Films and Harris Publications. Robert then took the next logical step and managed a roofing company for ten years. After waking from this long stupor, Robert decided to get out of the construction business and return to his true passion of story telling. He is represented by Lauren MacLeod of the Strothman Agency and recently signed a two-book deal with Disney-Hyperion. His first book, Frenzy, will arrive at bookstores still standing in the summer of 2014.

www.robertlettrick.blogspot.com

www.twitter.com/robertlettrick

www.robertlettrick.com (coming soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...