I am so, so excited to have Robin Benway here this week to tell us why she's Writers Like Us! AUDREY, WAIT! is one of my all-time favorite books! Robin's writing is always punched full of voice, and she writes really fun premises. Her new book, ALSO KNOWN AS, is out and it looks so good! (Maggie, the daughter of international spies, goes to New York for her own solo undercover job.)
Her answers are below in bold. Let us know what makes Robin like you in the comments.
- I've written four books, and three have seen the light of day, although I've stolen a few characters from that missing book.
- My favorite type of scene/character/setting to write is two people talking. Just dialogue, no setting.
- No matter how long I've been writing, I still have issues with confidence. Is it good enough? Will people like this? Is this the best scene that I can write?
- A typical comment from my critique partner is "Good job! Keep going!" (I only show my works in progress to one friend and my agent, and this is always their collective response.)
- The book I wished I wrote is The Realm of Possibility by David Levithan. Made me cry on a plane.
- If my agent really knew how crazy I was, she would find out nothing. I've had the same agent since 2006 and trust me, she knows how crazy I am. She always manages to talk me off the ledge.
- When I was querying, I felt incredibly lucky. I was introduced to my agent through a mutual friend and never had to query anyone else. So, so fortunate.
- The craziest thought I've ever had while writing is "if they like this book, do I have to actually finish it???" I was halfway through "Audrey, Wait!" when I signed with my agent, and I had never actually finished a book before. I didn't even know how it was going to end!
- When I got "The Call," my first thought was "I'm in Whole Foods!" I was grocery shopping and my agent said, "Go outside and sit on the curb." I set down my grocery basket and did just that...but left my keys, wallet, and sunglasses in the basket! Luckily I got them back.
- When I saw my book sale in Publishers Marketplace, I made a photocopy for my mom.
Robin on Life Outside Writing
- If I weren't a writer, I'd probably be a cello player for the LA Philharmonic. I've never even touched a cello, but I think it'd be fun.
- Secretly, I'm terrified of making eye contact with a whale. I know it's ridiculous, but whales scare me. They're so big!
- My secret girlfriend/boyfriend is Benedict Cumberbatch, because COME ON.
- Sometimes, when no one is around, I sing Dixie Chicks songs in the car. "Heartbreak Town" is a personal favorite.
I'm the author of "Audrey, Wait!" and "The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May & June." My latest book "Also Known As" will be released on February 26, 2013. I live in Los Angeles with my extremely stubborn shih tzu, Hudson. I've gotten a lot better at cooking. I still love coffee. We should be friends.