Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Writers Like Us - Mónica B. Wagner

I could not be more thrilled to welcome Mónica B. Wagner to the Writers Like Us series. Not only is Mónica my agency sister, but she was my mentor for The Writers Voice back in 2012. Mónica has been a great friend, a wonderful mentor, and overall amazing human being. Her new adult series, FROSH, debuts from Paper Lantern Lit on October 20, 2015--and I get to help reveal the cover today.

You can add it on GoodReads and follow Mónica on Twitter and Facebook.

Mónica on Writing

  • I've written ten books, and so far only one has seen the light of day (actually, will see it on Oct. 20th 2015).
  • My favorite type of scene to write is any romantic scene with lots of tension! 
  • No matter how long I've been writing, I still have issues with the first paragraph. First paragraphs drive me crazy. I need to write them like twenty times from scratch, since I get super nervous starting a book. 
  • A typical comment from my critique partner is  “:)” or “??” or “I like this! But how about [this other thing] instead?”
  • The book I wished I wrote is hmm, okay, I’d say something really emotional and literary, but then, I kind of love how my kids are crazy about Harry Potter. So I’ll go with that.
Mónica on Getting Published
  • If my agent really knew how crazy I was, she would find out that sometimes I dream about my characters as if they were real people.
  • When I was querying, I felt like… Aaaah!!! Seriously. I kind of wanted to scream all the time. I was obsessed revising my email, feeling hopeless and hopeful at the same time.
  • The biggest mistake I ever made querying was calling former agent Nathan Bransford “Ms. Bransford.” Bwhahaha! I felt so embarrassed when I realized my mistake that I’ll never forget it. 
  • The craziest thought I've ever had while writing is I could totally write two books at the same time. Yeah, right. 
  • When I got "The Call," my first thought was actually, my call wasn’t like that. Since I live in Chile, it was an email to schedule a Skype call. But I think I cried with that email. And now, I’m happy it was an email only—otherwise, I would’ve cried during The Call.
  • When I saw my book sale in Publishers Marketplace, I think I cried, too. Yeah, I cry a lot when I’m happy.
Mónica on Life Outside Writing
  • If I weren't a writer, I'd probably be a businesswoman. Something to do with economics maybe? I know, it might sound a bit boring, but I love economics.
  • Secretly, I'm terrified of tunnels. And underground parking lots.
  • My secret girlfriend/boyfriend is they change. They’re usually main characters of the book I’m reading. All look a little like Channing Tatum in my mind, though. 
  • Sometimes, when no one is around, I put Latin music loud and dance and sing along.

Mónica was born in a Peruvian city by a snow-capped volcano. Growing up, books were her constant companion as she traveled with her family to places like India (where she became a vegetarian), Thailand (where she *almost* met Leonardo di Caprio), France (where she pretended to learn French), and countless other places that inspired her to write. Now, Mónica lives in Chile with her husband, three boys, eleven hens, and stray dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...