Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Agents Like Us - Brent Taylor

Brent Taylor from Triada US Literary Agency is here to share all his agenting secrets and slushpile wishes!

He is looking for all types of middle grade, young adult, new adult, mysteries, and women's fiction. You can read more about him here, see his submission guidelines there, and follow him on Twitter @NaughtyBrent. His answers are below in bold.


Brent on Agenting

  • When writers query me, I really wish ... I don’t know where this statement is supposed to jump off to. I’m so grateful to be considered by any writer that wants to share their work. 
  • My favorite part about being an agent is ... Seeing a project evolve from initial concept, to first draft, to finished product. It’s exhilarating. 
  • Rules and trends aside, what I really look for in a story is ... a unique perspective. Narrators and stories that expose me to new worlds and teach me things. I’m always looking to grow, and that’s one of the reasons reading has always been a huge part of my life. 
  • Whenever I make a book deal, I ... I haven’t made a book deal quite yet, but I’m working on it! A dance party in my home office is definitely going to happen. 
  • I really wish I saw more adult psychological suspense and young adult contemporary in the slush.

Brent On Clients
  • My ideal client would be ... a stone cold reviser, passionate and hardworking, and brilliant. 
  • What I love most about my current clientele is ... all four qualities listed above.
  • What I want most for any client is ... to see their work placed with—and loved by—an audience.
Brent On Life
  • If I weren't an agent, I'd probably be ... an agent. There has never been a plan B for me, because there’s nothing in the world I’d rather be doing. 
  • My favorite (non-client) book is ... I just read HOOK’S REVENGE by Heidi Schulz and think she’s a fantastic new voice in middle grade.
  • Secretly, I'm terrified of ... spiders but this isn't very secret.
  • My secret boyfriend is ... James Franco.
  • I have a total girlcrush on ... James Franco. He writes poetry, for crying out loud.
  • Sometimes, when no one is around, I ...dance around my kitchen.
  • My favorite drink is ...coffee.

Want to see more Agent Interviews? Check them all out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...