Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Agents Like Us - Andrea Somberg

Agents Like Us asks agents all their deep, dark agenting secrets. This week, Andrea Somberg of the Harvey Klinger, Inc. is here!

She's actively looking for literary, commercial, women's fiction, romance, thrillers, mystery, paranormal, fantasy, science fiction, historical, young adult, middle grade, and nonfiction. You can find her website here, query information there, and tweeting under @AndreaSomberg.

Andrea's answers are below in bold. Let us know what makes her like you in the comments!



Andrea on Agenting
  • When writers query me, I really wish to fall absolutely in love with the project. 
  • My favorite part about being an agent is finding a manuscript that I can't put down - and that I can't wait for the rest of the world to read. 
  • Rules and trends aside, what I really look for in a story is whether the voice and the characters resonate with me. 
  • Whenever I make a book deal, I call the author and we rejoice. 
  • I really wish I saw more historical mysteries in the slush.

Andrea on Clients
  • My ideal client would be someone who is passionate and excited about their work but also recognizes that this is a business.
  • What I love most about my current clientele is how awesome they are. Literally, every one of them is awesome.
  • What I want most for any client is to find success and happiness in their publishing career.

Andrea on Life
  • If I weren't an agent, I'd probably be a ….. I'm not sure. Maybe a nurse? But I probably couldn't hack it. 
  • My favorite (non-client) book is parenting books of all types. I find them oddly relaxing. 
  • Secretly, I'm terrified of bees. I found out a year ago that I'm allergic.
  • My secret boyfriend is …… I honestly don't have one. Is that weird? 
  • I have a total girlcrush on all of my awesome girl friends. 
  • Sometimes, when no one is around, I talk out loud to myself.
  • My favorite drink is a triple (beer).

Don't miss the entire series! 
Next week: Natalie Lakosil from Bradford Literary Agency.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...