Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Writers Like Us - Liz Fichera

I've been eying up Liz Fichera's HOOKED for quite a bit. I absolutely love an opposites-attract, girls-can-do-what-boys-can type of romance. But from what I've read about Liz's book, HOOKED is so much more.

"Not just a Romeo and Juliet story, the book examines the conflicts of white versus Indian and rich versus poor, giving it far more heft than the average romance. Bravo." (Kirkus STARRED Review)

I'm sold! I'm reading this one in September!

Her answers are below in bold. Let us know what makes Liz like you in the comments.


Liz on Writing

  • I've written 6 books, and 3 have seen the light of day.
  • My favorite type of scene to write is the anticipation before a first kiss. My favorite type of character to write is someone who’s unpredictable, who can catch the reader off-guard. 
  • My favorite type of setting to write is the desert. 
  • No matter how long I've been writing, I still have issues with ending a story. Ending a story that you’ve spent so much time with is like saying goodbye to a best friend. I suck at good-byes.
  • A typical comment from my critique partner is to weave in more back story. 
  • The book I wished I wrote is Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Thrillers are usually not my go-to books but the pacing and unpredictability in this book blew me away. I loved how the author created unlikable characters that you had to care about because you had to see how the mystery unfolded. Genius.


Liz on Getting Published
  • When I was querying, I felt like my fingers had become glued to my laptop. I became (overly) obsessive about checking email.
  • The biggest mistake I ever made querying was querying before my manuscript was ready for publication.
  • When I got "The Call," my first thought was that my agent had obviously dialed the wrong number. She had to have me confused with someone else.
  • When I saw my book sale in Publishers Marketplace, I got all choked up. It finally felt real.

Liz on Life Outside Writing
  • If I weren't a writer, I'd probably be an artist—albeit a starving one. 
  • Secretly, I'm terrified of heights. I can barely climb a stepstool to reach for something in my kitchen cabinets. It’s embarrassing.
  • My secret boyfriend is Lou Diamond Phillips and, seriously, any of the men in LONGMIRE. I am totally in crazy love with that show. 
  • Sometimes, when no one is around, I crank up songs from The Proclaimers to almost ear-bleeding levels and dance around à la Risky Business-style.
Liz is an author living in the American Southwest by way of Chicago. Come visit her at www.LizFichera.com to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...