She is looking for commercial and up market fiction, middle grade, young adult, and new adult, as well as nonfiction. You can learn more about Caitie here, find her submission guidelines there, and follow her on Twitter @CaitieF. Her answers are below in bold.
- When writers query me, I really wish that authors would would follow my guidelines. About a third do not. I also really wish authors would have someone read their query who does not know their book at all. Sometimes it is confusing and the author or their beta reader is too close to it. Make sure it makes sense!
- My favorite part about being an agent is authors! I love authors, that is why I do this. I love working with authors, fighting for authors, and having that partnership.
- Rules and trends aside, what I really look for in a story is a voice I adore. If I don't like the voice enough, I can't be the champion for it.
- Whenever I make a book deal, I make sure the author celebrates and is properly excited. I also have some champagne.
- I really wish I saw more mysteries in the slush for all age groups. A good mystery is timeless.
Caitie On Clients
- My ideal client would be someone who wants to be a long-term writer, someone who will grow and improve with every book.
- What I love most about my current clientele is they are enormously talented, incredibly kind, work really hard, and are just the loveliest people ever.
- What I want most for any client is whatever is best for them, whether that is a print deal, digital, or some combination. I want them to be happy and feel supported and to know that I have their back. I want them to have the career that they want and will do everything in my power to make it happen.
Caitie On Life
- If I weren't an agent, I'd probably be working somewhere else in publishing or maybe in a library? I can't imagine doing anything else.
- My favorite (non-client) book is I just finished ILLUMINAE by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman (had to change the billing since Jay is always second because of the alphabet) and it was AMAZING. Best book I read this year. It could easily move into the running for top 5 oo 10 favorite books of all time.
- Secretly, I'm terrified of I can't do heights when there is a chance of falling. I love tall roller coasters and flying, but I had high seats at a stadium Taylor Swift concert and had to exchange them because I started shaking.
- My secret boyfriend is Chris Hardwick because he is so nerdy and cute. I know that is a really weird answer!
- I have a total girlcrush on Viola Davis. Have you WATCHED How To Get Away With Murder? The woman is brilliant and beautiful.
- Sometimes, when no one is around, I sing along to Hamilton. Sometimes I even rap REALLY badly.
- My favorite drink is Moscato wine. I love all wine, but that is my favorite!
Want to see more Agent Interviews? Check them all out here.