She's actively looking for literary and commercial fiction, young adult, and middle grade. You can find her submission guidelines here, her PM page there, and tweeting under @ShannonHassan.
Shannon's answers are below in bold. Let us know what makes her like you in the comments!
Shannon on Agenting
- When writers query me, I really wish to fall in love with the concept.
- My favorite part about being an agent is everything! I like contributing to the creative process as much as negotiating the deal.
- Rules and trends aside, what I really look for in a story is memorable characters, a great story, writing from the heart instead of writing to fit a trend.
- Whenever I make a book deal, I run down to my husband’s office and shout words like “advance” and “pre-empt” and “imprint” as he stares at me (he’s not in publishing).
- I’d like to find a literary/commercial crossover novel that would make Amy Einhorn swoon in the slush.
Shannon on Clients
- My ideal client would be an exceptional writer, committed, willing to take criticism, a pleasure to work with.
- What I love most about my current clientele is their incredible talent and enthusiasm.
- What I want most for any client is happiness and success, in their own eyes.
Shannon on Life
- If I weren't an agent, I'd probably be sad! I have done other things before becoming an agent (attorney, editor) and this is really what I love to do.
- My favorite (non-client) book is impossible to pick a “favorite” as I am such an eclectic reader! A recent book that I enjoyed for its original voice was Swamplandia! And I recently read Harry Potter with my twins, what a joy to revisit that series.
- Secretly, I'm terrified of confined spaces. I love the wide openness of the West.
- My secret boyfriend is Ryan Gosling.
- I have a total girlcrush on Jennifer Lawrence.
- Sometimes, when I have time alone, I like to do yoga, hike or bike.
- My favorite drink is margarita on the rocks.