Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Agents Like Us - Katie Shea Boutillier

Agents Like Us asks agents all their deep, dark agenting secrets. This week, Katie Shea Boutillier of Donald Maass Literary Agency is here! Make sure you congratulate Katie on her recent wedding and take note of her new name when querying her.

She's actively looking for women's fiction, YA, literary fiction, and memoir. You can find her submission guidelines here, and tweeting under @AgentShea.

Katie's answers are below in bold. Let us know what makes her like you in the comments!

Katie on Agenting


  • When writers query me, I really wish the story line and character descriptions make an immediate personal connection to me.
  • My favorite part about being an agent is making dreams come true.
  • Rules and trends aside, what I really look for in a story is something that I can picture being a trailer for a blockbuster movie.
  • Whenever I make a book deal, I do the running man in the office.
  • I really wish I saw more out-of-the-box, forward thinking story ideas in the slush.

Katie on Clients
  • My ideal client would be one who is open to guidance, full of creative ideas, and who will never give up.
  • What I love most about my current clientele is that they all show a deep understanding of the importance of life through their writing.
  • What I want most for any client is for them to be happy.

Katie on Life
  • If I weren't an agent, I'd probably be an editor or writer.
  • My favorite (non-client) book is THE COLOR PURPLE.
  • Secretly, I'm terrified of closed spaces.
  • My secret boyfriend is my dachshund, Frankie Beans.
  • I have a total girlcrush on Blake Lively.
  • Sometimes, when no one is around, I vacuum rigorously.
  • My favorite drink is Blue Nun Riesling.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, I love the Dachshund's name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What makes Katie like me:
    • she felt a personal connection to my work
    • she won't stop until she's done the best possible job
    • she doesn't read to escape life, she reads to enter it more fully
    • she fights for what she's passionate for, because her life is shaped by her convictions.
    • because the fact that my favorite number is 13 and hers is 14 really isn't that big a difference, all things considered.
    • our paychecks are now joined. ;)
    Her grateful client,
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. So she's not only beautiful, she seems so sweet too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...