She is looking for young adult (contemporary and horror), middle grade (contemporary and historical), adult (thrillers and commercial women's fiction), as well as nonfiction. You can learn more about Heather here, find her submission guidelines there, and follow her on Twitter @HeddaFlaherty. Her answers are below in bold.
- My favorite part about being an agent is ... everything. It’s a fantastic job. You get to bridge both the creative side with the market side of publishing. You get to push out books that should get out there, whether it’s because they are wanted, or teach the right lessons, or offer new perspective, or are just truly gorgeous. And my clients’ amaze me everyday with their work. Helping their words get to readers is beyond exciting.
- Rules and trends aside, what I really look for in a story is voice, voice, and more voice. Full, real characters immediately pull me into any story, whether it’s a quiet story or a loud one.
- I really wish I saw more variety, quirkiness, innovation… (I know, so helpful.) in the slush.
- My ideal client would be all of my current clients. Hard-workers who are willing to try, writers I can be VERY honest with, and people who enjoy a chuckle.
- What I love most about my current clientele is all of the above! Though some do more chuckling than others…
- What I want most for any client is the right home for their future as an author.
Heather On Life
- If I weren't an agent, I'd probably be a large animal vet. (I know right? Weird.)
- Secretly, I'm terrified of not doing everything I want to do ever.
- I have a total girlcrush on Allie Bosch, Amy Schumer, and Angelina Jolie.
- Sometimes, when no one is around, I wear extremely ripped jeans. (And not just sometimes. All the time)
- My favorite drink is rye.
Want to see more Agent Interviews? Check them all out here.