Wednesday, December 18, 2013

What's Up Wednesday - 12.18.13



What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up.

You can participate by going to Jaime's blog here. Or Erin's blog there.

What up! Wednesday RAH RAH RAH! (this is me cheerleading for Wednesday --> *\O/*)


What I'm Reading
You guys talked me into it. Last week, I was trying to decide what to read before the end of the year and almost unanimously everyone said Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor & Park!

Friday night, I got in bed with the intension of reading "just a few chapters" before I go to bed. That turned into "I devoured half this book and now it's 2 AM). So thanks guys. I blame my sleeplessness on you (and Rainbow).

But very seriously, word crack anyone?







What I'm Writing

I'm writing a lot this week. I've been taking a lot of time to daydream and read and just live and the words keep coming to me. I've been pretty lucky in that I'm balancing everything well (life and work and writing) right now. So I'm not going to jinx it.

I've been listening to Sara Zarr's podcast a lot lately. She interviews writers and they just talk about...writerly things. Things I didn't know anyone else felt or thought about the whole writing/publishing process. Definitely check it out! My favorite interviews are with Stephanie Perkins and A.S. King!


What Else I've Been Up To

My agency sister, Lizzie Friend's POOR LITTLE DEAD GIRLS came out yesterday! Lizzie did Writers Like Us yesterday and the entire Clan MacLeod decided to die to show our support. I ODed on hair product (naturally).

Take a look at all the pics on Jodi Meadows' blog!





What Inspires Me Right Now


I'm starting to think out some New Years resolutions. Admittedly, I really don't stick to anything once about February hits, but this year I really want to try:

  • To finish this book. Really finish it. Get it to that place where I'm okay sending it to people and getting their feedback and then ultimately sending it to my agent.
  • To try to balance out my life and my writing a little more. With me, it's all or nothing. I write and everything around me suffers: my home, my fitness, my relationships. I'm a girl obsessed with the story in my head. I'm getting better at finding the balance. Of actually taking a night off and writing when the inspiration hits.

8 comments:

  1. I still need to read Eleanor & Park! I loved Fangirl, so I'm expecting it to be good. I'm the same with writing - I get so obsessive about it! Finding balance is a great New Year's Resolution. Have a great Christmas/New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing with Eleanor & Park. I thought, just one more chapter. Just one more. Just one more. Pretty soon it was something-AM and I'd finished and was crying and exhausted- physically and emotionally. Yep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Eleanor & Park, I'm glad you enjoyed it too. But you should have known better than to start a book right before bed! How do you ever expect to sleep with such a great book to read? A few weeks ago I stayed up ALL NIGHT finishing Fangirl. I literally finished it half an hour before my alarm clock went off. Curse that Rainbow Rowlle for interrupting our sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when a book keeps me up that late because it's so good... until I have to go to work the next day ^^;

    Daydreaming and writing sounds wonderful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Valerie! I love it when a book is so good you can't put it down no matter how tired you are. I've heard such good things about Eleanor & Park, so I'm looking forward to reading it. Good job on how well you're balancing everything!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome resolutions, I'm sure you can achieve your goals! I'v ready Rainbow Rowell's other books, but not Eleanor and Park, will have to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ELEANOR & PARK is on my TBR. And so is GAME OF THRONES, and that's been there for well over a year, now. But too many people have loved E&P for me to pass it by much longer. Soon next year. :)

    I hope you manage to finish up the WIP, Valerie. I'm in a similar boat (but without the agent--yet). Have a totally awesome Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Sara Zarr's podcast! So inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...