Monday, November 25, 2013

For Your TBR Pile - Reality Boy

Reality Boy by A.S. King

Published: October 22nd

Thanks Little Brown and NetGalley for the eARC. In exchange, I've written this unbiased review.


From GoodReads
Gerald Faust knows exactly when he started feeling angry: the day his mother invited a reality television crew into his five-year-old life. Twelve years later, he’s still haunted by his rage-filled youth—which the entire world got to watch from every imaginable angle—and his anger issues have resulted in violent outbursts, zero friends, and clueless adults dumping him in the special education room at school.
Nothing is ever going to change. No one cares that he’s tried to learn to control himself, and the girl he likes has no idea who he really is. Everyone’s just waiting for him to snap…and he’s starting to feel dangerously close to doing just that.


Overall Review: I was really glad this was my first AS King book. It was a book I didn't mean to read all in one sitting, but I was hooked from the very first line.

Rating: 5 stars.

Writing: I absolutely love, not the way A.S. King writes, but how she tells a story. She has the fearless type of writing style that reads natural and effortlessly. After I read Reality Boy, I had the amazing opportunity to go see her speak at my local indie, Children's Book World in Haverford. A.S. was funny and personal, and I loved hearing speak about how instead of writing books for teens telling them what to do, she writes stories that stand up for them and takes their side.

Characters: I see a lot of reviews about how the characters in Reality Boy depict how famous or infamous children who have been taken advantage of through exploitative reality TV might feel. I don't see how Gerald is unlike any other high school junior who has been raised to believe he or she is stuck being who they currently are. Although I haven't read any of A.S. King's other books (which, will now be remedied because I have three sitting on my TBR shelf now), it's clear she writes for the underdog, with characters that are easy to relate to.

Recommended For: everyone and anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...