Wednesday, September 4, 2013

What's Up Wednesday - 9.4.1


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up.

You can participate by going to Jaime's blog here. Or Erin's blog there.

What's Up Wednesday people! Can you believe we're halfway to Friday?!





What I'm Reading

I finished These Broken Stars a few nights ago (and, oh my gosh, it's sooo good), and thought I'd just look at the first chapter of The Dream Thieves since I had a galley on my Kindle.

I was sucked right in. I really liked the first book, but I think I *LOVE* the second. Adam is so my book boyfriend.







What I'm Writing

So I didn't quite make my 10K to Labor Day challenge. But I did make 6.5K, which is not bad.

Seriously, I love this MS. I've gotten to that point where I'm neglecting anything and everything other than making my word count every night. It's kinda the best part of the writing cycle, don't you think?


What Else I've Been Up To

My agent, Lauren MacLeod, helped me kick off a really awesome blog series this week! Agents Like Us asks agents about their Agenting, Clients, and Life to help writers get a better feel for the agents they are querying/following. Lauren's answers were sooo funny! Plus her bangs are amazing.

I have about 7 other agents lined up, and can't wait to see all their answers too.


What Inspires Me Right Now


I've been a huge Kurt Halsey fan forever, and his paintings are so sweet. Sometimes when I need inspiration to write, I start Googling to see what new things he has out.

20 comments:

  1. That is an awesome painting!! And I can't wait to read the new blog series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading The Dream Thieves too! I'm absolutely loving it (I pretty much love all of her books). 6.5k is still a lot. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! And, yes, omg I love The Dream Thieves. Ugh, I just hope Adam is okay at the end. I kinda heart him.

      Delete
  3. It's so cool when you get "into" your novel--word counts almost become irrelevant because you just want to write! And your Agent series is a really great idea, Valerie. People need to check out the interview with Lauren--though not too many, otherwise my chances of winning the giveaway decrease! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colin! Good luck on the giveaway! :) I'm excited. I have some really fun agents lined up for the next few weeks.

      And you're right, when you're into the writing, the word count flies by. (Until you realize you need to start chopping it back haha)

      Delete
  4. I'm still waiting for my copy of THE DREAM THIEVES to get here sometime after the 17th. I'm seriously impatient. And the wait for THESE BROKEN STARS is much, much longer. So happy to hear that you loved both of them! (I'm totally Team Gansey. :P) 6.5K is awesome, Valerie! It's especially great that you love this story so much. I checked out your agent interview and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of funny answers there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite your Team Gansey-ness, we can still be friends, Jaime. :)

      Delete
  5. I've been fortunate to meet Lauren IRL and she IS so funny! I bet she's neat to work with too. And 6500 words is AMAZING! Go you!

    I can't wait for THE DREAM THIEVES. I am treating myself to a day of reading September 17.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to be biased, but she is the best :)

      Delete
  6. Aw, that picture is adorable!

    That is absolutely the best part of writing. "What, I need to do the laundry because I only have one pair of trousers left for the week? Eeeeeeeh... I'll do it in 1000 words' time..."

    Have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet we can measure almost anything in "X words time!" haha

      Delete
  7. I can't wait to read The Dream Thieves, I absolutely loved The Raven Boys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a cool new series. I'm definitely going to have to read about all these agents you'll be interviewing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Kurt Halsey image is adorable! Perfect YA inspiration! I loved your Agents Like Us post yesterday... What a fun way to get to know agents and their tastes on a more personal level. If you haven't asked my agent Victoria Marini, you might consider her. She's fantastic! Also, THE DREAM THIEVES. Love. I adore all the boys, but I claim Gansey as my book boyfriend. So freaking charming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! I'm so happy you're a fan of Adam too! I couldn't believe how many people were down on him after the first book. While I enjoyed all the Raven Boys, Adam is the one that broke my heart. You're the third person I've come across today that's read THE DREAM THIEVES early. I'm finding it very hard to contain my jealousy!

    It's awesome that you love your MS so much. I think it shows so much in the story when the writer is truly invested in it. And 6.5k by Labor Day is great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. 6.5K is pretty awesome so you should be proud! That's awesome that you're so excited about your MS. I'm still figuring my new WIP out and hope to get to that point soon!

    Your agent series sounds awesome so off to check that out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post, great blog, following :)

    Good Luck :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...